Cementing our understanding of how to make cement is no small feat. Whether you’re a construction professional or a curious DIY enthusiast, understanding how to make and mix cement is an invaluable skill that lays the foundation for countless construction projects.
In this blog, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of crafting this fundamental building material by delving into the materials, tools, and techniques required to achieve the perfect cement mix.
How To Make Cement: Required Materials
The standard concrete mix consists of 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, and 3 parts gravel. Remember, getting the correct ratio of these materials is paramount to achieving the perfect mix.
For example, if the aggregate content is excessively high, attaining a pleasing and smooth finish may pose a challenge.
Conversely, adding too much sand to the mixture could compromise the strength of the mix, leaving the final surface susceptible to potential damages from environmental factors.
Keep in mind, however, that the manufacturer’s recommendations may vary depending on the type of Portland cement used. So, always refer back to these guidelines when making concrete.
- Large, wooden mixing board or a large bucket (for smaller projects)
- Cement powder
- Stiff bristle brush or cement mixer (for larger volumes)
Safety should never be compromised. Therefore, ensure you have the right safety equipment before you begin.
- Safety glasses
- Protective mask
- Mouth protector – to shield against the dry powder
How To Make Cement: The Process
- Prepare Your Workspace: Select a clean, hard surface for your mixing board, such as a large, wooden mixing board or a large bucket for smaller projects.
- Add Your Materials: Start by pouring the cement powder, sand, and gravel onto the mixing board. A consistent colour through your pile ensures all the materials are evenly mixed.
- Make a Well: Create a well in the centre of your dry mix. This will be where you add water.
- Add Water: Gradually add water to the well in your dry mix. It’s essential not to add too much water at once.
- Mix the Ingredients: Use a stiff bristle brush or a cement mixer for larger volumes, to mix the components together. Evenly mix and stir until you achieve a smooth paste with the right consistency.
- Check Consistency: After you mix concrete, the cement mix should be workable but not overly liquid. If the mix is too dry, add a little more water; if it’s too wet, incorporate more of the dry mixture.
- Let it Rest: Allow the mortar mix to rest for a few minutes before use.
Making cement might seem like an intimidating process, but as you’ve seen here, it’s really quite simple.
Whether you’re sprucing up the backyard or ready to build a new home, knowing how to make cement will give you a strong footing for any DIY project.