Tile Backer Board HardieBacker(2 Products)
The Hardiebacker Tile Backer Board is a plasterboard alternative cement board specifically designed for use in wet areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. As the name suggests, a tile backer board provides a water-resistant base to which natural stone, porcelain or ceramic tiles can adhere. The boards are easy to cut and install, and their unique cement formulation with MouldBlock Technology ensures excellent and long-lasting protection from mould and moisture damage.Find Out More About Our Types of HardieBacker Board
12mm HardieBacker Board 1200mm x 800mm
6mm HardieBacker Board 1200mm x 800mm
What Is HardieBacker Board?
If you're looking for the best protection possible against moisture damage, Hardie Backer tiling backer board is your ideal solution.
It's perfect for use in high-moisture areas like kitchens and bathrooms and provides superior performance compared to other flooring options on the market.
HardieBacker cement backerboard can act as either a wall or floor tiling backerboard, and is suitable for both timber frame and masonry walls.
The no mesh board features patented Mouldblock technology that delivers outstanding mould and moisture resistance, which prevents the board from swelling or rotting if exposed to water in a wet room.
With a compressive strength up to three times that of other competitive cement boards, the Hardiebacker board provides a robust and rigid base for excellent tile adhesion.
HardieBacker Board Key Features & Benefits
- Up to 3x the compressive strength of competitive boards
- Installs easily - score and snap clean cuts
- Clean cuts ensure all edges align tightly
- Less dust and debris emitted in the cutting process
- No loose aggregate or filler
- Highest flexural strength
- 90% Portland cement and sand
- Suitable for use in wet rooms and bathroom
- Fastens directly to any floor, wall or wooden frame
Where is HardieBacker Board Used?
- Tiling Floors: Ideal for durable and moisture-resistant tiled floors.
- Bathrooms/Wet Rooms: Reliable for moisture-prone areas.
- Masonry Walls: Strong backing for wall tiling projects.
- Bath Panels: Enhances bathroom aesthetics and customisation.
Installing Tile Backer Boards
HardieBacker fibre cement boards are light and rigid, making installation a quick and easy process. Follow these simple steps to install HardieBacker tile backer boards:
- Measure the area where you will be installing the boards
- Where necessary, cut the boards to size using the score and snap method. The unique composition of the boards allows for clean cuts that produce minimal dust and abrasive debris
- Screw the boards into place on the timber or metal studwork. Allow 1/4 of an inch above the floor when installing the boards on walls
- Make sure the four corners of the boards align tightly with adjacent boards
- Fill all joints with mortar and embed with glass fibre tape
- Clean the flat surface of the boards, and cover with tile adhesive
- Press the tiles onto the mortar and hold them there until they have fully adhered
Please note, in order to avoid excessive flex (which can lead to tile cracks) make sure to 15mm WBP plywood or minimum 18mm T&G flooring grade chipboard.
About James Hardie
James Hardie is a leading manufacturer of building boards such as Fermacell and HardieBacker. It is known for creating durable, high-quality products that have superior performance to other traditional materials such as plasterboard and plywood.
James Hardie tile backer boards have a unique formulation that contains no loose aggregate or filler, giving them a uniform composition that can carry up to 200kg/m2 of tile hanging weight.
Frequently Asked HardieBacker Board Questions
Do I Need To Prime HardieBacker Board Before Tiling?
HardieBacker board requires no priming, it is ready to tile upon installation, just make sure to wipe it down with a damp sponge before applying the tiles, to rid of any dust.
Is HardieBacker Board Fire Retardant?
HardieBacker cement board has been evaluated by the BBA and approved with certificate no. 04/4100.
Consequently, HardieBacker is classified as fully non-combustible, with its reaction to fire, in accordance with EN 13501-1, being A1,S1-d0.
Can Hardie Board Hold Weight?
Unlike plasterboard, which can only hold 35kg per square metre, Hardie Backer board can hold nearly up to three times this, being able to manage 100kg per square metre.
For further details, please refer to individual product pages.